Thursday, January 22, 2009

Good News!

After just over 6 months of unemployment, which is apparently about average for geek gigs in the Austin area, dh has found a job! Woo hoo!

We're excited. I've never had his earning power in the traditional workforce and we knew we couldn't live on my income alone without eventually joining the many people caught in the mortgage crunch. (Though I did have some nifty plans for decorating our refrigerator box backburnered!) So relieved; both relieved and immensely thankful in this economy, do not even begin to approach how we are feeling right now.

I'm also excited because he sounds really psyched about the job. He thinks it will be interesting and challenging, things he'd been longing for at mega-evil-laid-off-my-husband-corp and it's good to see him excited.

Now I just have to plan for how to survive if this happens again (have I mentioned the awesome economy?) to either of us since we are a two job family now. Three, if we count my sad little freelance biz.

Now that the big worry is gone, time to move on to the little things:
  • getting the small one adjusted to our new normal, one that includes things like after-school and summer care and fewer playdates since mom isn't home to chauffeur her around and helping her be happy with it.
  • paying attention to my writing again. I'm taking the rest of January off, but for a newsletter gig, and then I want to try to build a new routine around the new, new life that will let me build my biz back up to the point that I can talk about coming home again (maybe) when my contract is up in late 2009.
  • make plans for some badly needed home repair projects that were put off in the face of no income
  • and, maybe, the Good lord willing, a v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n sometime this calendar year. We've been married 14 years and have never truly been on vacation together. Okay, fine there was ONE, but we're trying to put that week we shared a beach house in Galveston with my family and waaay too much beer (neither dh nor I drink beer--draw your own pictures for this story!) behind us.
I get that this really doesn't matter to anyone but me, but I just needed to express my relief and hopes and worries for the future. That is all. Move along InterWebs, nothing to see here.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

SO GLAD he's going to be gainfully employed again come Monday -- and even better that he's excited about the job.

Here's to the worries fading into the background and life being a little better in 2009. *clink*

Unknown said...

I second that!