Friday, October 24, 2008

Mommy Pride

I am doing NaNoWriMo, as usual, this year. What IS new and exciting is the fact that my daughter is old enough that she, too, has decided to participate.

I asked her if she wanted to do it and she said yes. We originally sat down talked about it, then, using the handy guidelines from the Young Writers Program website, set her a goal of 3000 words for November (100 words/day). This week she started getting antsy and told her dad she didn't want to do it (but kept plowing through the workbook anyway).

We got together Wednesday night and I told her she didn't have to do it at all if she didn't want to. She decided to stick, but lowered the word count goal to 2k. For her first time I have no problem with this--I offered to drop it to 1 and let her off the hook on word count altogether.

Only registered users (or their mothers *egrin*) can access the Young Writer's Program website and author blurbs. I think this is fantastic for kid safety, but it makes it hard to share my pride with the rest of the world. It means I have to copy & paste, dadnabbit.


Without further ado, J (ok, J's MOM) presents:



When I asked her later why Clark didn't just eat Clara when he bit her (standard barraduca behavior) she rolled her eyes, looked at me like I was a little slow, and said, "Because then I wouldn't have a main character Mom!" I just about died...

Happy Noveling, y'all! If you know (read: parent) a Young Writer and want to get in touch privately I'll ask Jay if she wants an age-appropriate writing bud for the month.

No comments: